Go green! What's your new year's resolution?
Are you going green in 2022? I'm sure you have a few new years resolutions, but lets make one of those intentions- "to make a conscious effort towards reducing our waste, reusing and living a more sustainable, eco-friendly lifestyle.
There are many eco friendly products, and alternatives available to us to make this lifestyle easy and possible.
Convenience has become one of the most important things in our everyday life and society, and as much as; convenience is beneficial, it can also be damaging on many levels, from our health and to our planet. We can try to make better choices that will benefit both of these.
There are easy changes we can make towards reducing our everyday waste. All we need to do is stay conscious of our choices and the consequences they have on the planet and our environment. I am by no means perfect in this area, but I am definitely aware, and practice the following tips as much as I can.
1. Switch to a plant based diet or incorporate more plant-based foods, and whole foods into your diet.
2. Select products and items that contain minimal to no packaging- avoiding individually packaged items, styrofoam and plastic as often as possible.
2. Choose packaging made from recycled or eco-friendly materials. There are many companies (local and abroad) trying to be more sustainable and eco friendly.
3. Switch to reusuables for your household items. This is a simple switch that will not only benefit the environment, it will save you money. Here are a few alternatives that you can try:
-Paper towels and plastic wrap can be replaced with reusuable cloth towels and reusuable silicone covers.
-Disposable diapers can be replaced with cloth diapers, cloth wipes, and handmade baby wipe solution.
- Laundry detergent and household cleaning products, can be replaced with; eco friendly, non toxic products that are refillable, packaged in recycled or eco friendly materials, or you can make your own. There are lots of eco friendly products on the market and DIY tips you can find.
- Pack your reusables. When travelling, or while on the road, remember to pack your: Water bottles, reusable straws, bags, utensils, and containers. When you're shopping or at a food establishment, try to avoid; single use plastic bags, bottles & utensiles. This may seem difficult at times, and a pain to remember to pack some of these, but making the effort is what matters.
- Support environmentally conscious, local companies and establishments as much as you can.
Pro tip: Don't rush to buy all sorts of eco friendly reusuables like; cutlery, bags, bottles, containers etc. Instead, see what you already have at home that you can use, even if it's plastic cutlery you have lying around from restaurants, water bottles, or bags that you've collected over time. Reusing where you can is always the most eco friendly and affordable.
"What the new year brings to you will depend a great deal on what you bring to the new year" - Vern Mclellan