Updated: Jun 10
Warm, soothing and wholesome are the feelings we get when we think of stew. A comfort food staple that can incorporate a variety of ingredients and flavours. Its perfect for using the ingredients we have on hand. This recipe is loaded with nutritious elements such as iron, folate and protein its a dish the whole family will enjoy! Dig in!
Scroll to the end for a bonus recipe that is a lovely accompaniment for the Stew!
Yield: 2 - 4 servings
1 medium potato cubed (can substitute for sweet potatoes)
1 Can lentils drained and rinsed
2 small tomatoes roughly chopped
1/2 C chopped sweet or bell peppers roughly chopped
1 C cubed pumpkin
1/2 C mushrooms roughly chopped
1/4 C onion roughly chopped
1 Tbl minced garlic or 3 garlic cloves
2 tsp dried or fresh parsley
2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
2 Tbl coconut or olive oil
1/2 C coconut milk (canned or fresh)
1 c water or unsalted vegetable stock
1. Puree all ingredients in a food processor excluding the lentils, potatoes and water.
2. Add pureed ingredients to a saucepan on medium heat. Cook for approximately 5 minutes. Stirring frequently.
3. Add potatoes and water. Cover and reduce to medium heat. Cook for approximately 10 minutes until the potato is tender. (test using a fork) Add more water if necessary.
4. Add coconut milk and lentils. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
This dish can be served with rice or quinoa. Or our Mashed christophine and potatoes (see recipe below).
Creamy Christophine and Potatoes
8 small to medium potatoes cubed
1 C christophine (Chayote squash) cubed
1 Tbl salt
1/4 C olive oil or vegan butter
1/4 C non dairy milk
1 Tbl salt
1 Tbl onion powder or 2 Tbl fresh chive
2 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbl parsley flakes or 2 Tbl fresh parsley
1. Add potatoes, christophene and salt to a pot and add water.
2. Place on stove top on medium high heat and bring to a boil. Boil for approximately 10 minutes until they are tender. (you can stick them with a fork to test)
3. Remove from heat, strain and return to pot.
4. Place on stove top on low heat. Add all other ingredients and mash. (The heat helps to infuse the flavours). Turn off heat when all ingredients are mashed and combined.
5. Let sit for a few minutes before serving.